A Barbie Passion


A Barbie Passion
Working with a brand like Barbie is certainly a privilege, but for me its also like unveiling a secret. There you are working away happily on some campaign or other and then you realize the doll with which you had such an affinity, has spent so much time with, and had been there through it all, is actually just a marketable property. She is a sales targeted product, cold and lifeless. Well I think Ive concluded this client touched a place that made me realize, maybe I never did grown up?

In taking a peek into her life before me, those vintage moments and retro highlights, as part of the 50th campaign work we did, I saw the affairs she had with others. A life before me. Damn her eyes she was an astronaut, a doctor, she was a large busted swim suit model and god only knows what else! When you work on a brand you somehow you gain a knowledge and feeling for it that you never had before. Well for Barbie and I we had a history, but now I knew secrets. Now I knew I hadnt really known her at all.

So Im off to cope with the knowledge that Barbie had experiences I never did and grew up without me.....

Emily Grice
Barbie®, for Mattel Canada.

Leave a Response