Fashion at the heart of it...




When I grow up, Im gonna be..

Most kids at school would say to me " I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up Emily, you're so lucky you already know!"

How wrong they were. There is nothing worse in this world that knowing you want something, and then, like the nerves a painter feels when looking at a large blank canvas, you get stage fright when the time comes to leap.

I knew at age 7 that drawing pretty people in fantastical forms was the best fun I could think of. Then at 15 dressing up my sisters in my creations, and making them look pretty, then taking dramatic black and white pictures was heaven. When you love to do something that much, you can only hope to do it as a grown up. To hope that a job exists out there that means you get to continue to play your way through life.

Ive had my share of a few absolutely beautiful opportunities to be in my zone and to truly do what comes naturally to me. For both mens and womenswear I have designed and illustrated pieces over the years and found a few styles that seemed to work for me, and I have certainly loved it.

With so many loves, be it for illustration or photography, for styling or for graphic design & thereby marketing, it is hard to really choose. But in essence fashion for me is simply at the heart of it. Certainly for me, with a sense that it needs to be fair and true, and with all wholly avoidance of the bitchy world which I have encountered. When you escape all the nastiness that can come with the package, and you get to simply draw, to create, and to be part of the process that dresses our bodies and delights our eyes is a rare and wonderful thing.







Emily Grice
Illustration work through the years for Mulberry, Perrier & other similar clients.....


Leave a Response